Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You know things are bad when...

You're afraid to turn off your work laptop because you don't want to come in unprepared the next day. In other words, there are so many damn people from work online and lots of them e-mailing me about a conference next week that I'm managing, so unless I want to be blind-sided in the morning, I'm trapped online like a sad little rat. How freaking pathetic is that? I'm working at 10 p.m. on a Wednesday. Even sadder, so is my husband, who is not even home yet.

I keep telling myself: I like my job, I like my job, I like my job... And it's true and I feel useful so I guess I should get over myself and hope like hell that this doesn't become standard operating procedure. If it does, I may have some work issues to cover with my manager.

Anyway, and I hesitate to write this, it's been a good week all in all. Although things are blowing up right and left at work, I've managed to work out every single day this week so far, my body feels good, tight and more energetic than before and I'm a lot more focused at work thanks to my increased activity. The only downside is that with increased activity comes an increased appetite which isn't easily subdued with fruits and vegetables.

In other words, I had cheezits during the day and ice cream this evening. But during meals I did pretty well - cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch, chili for dinner. I should have cut up some fruits & veggies to take to work to avoid the aforementioned cheezits, but I was too tired last night and completely unmotivated. I don't see myself getting terribly motivated tonight, either, given that I've been working since I put my son to sleep at 8 p.m.

Working while Ragsy's awake unless absolutely necessary is somewhat verboten for both me and my husband. It's not as forbidden when it's just me and my husband, but it's still an "only-if-you-have-to" thing. Hopefully I won't have to for more than another week or so. Same for him.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to cut myself off from both my laptops in just a few minutes. I have my work laptop sitting on the coffee table with my personal laptop on my lap where it should be. Both are open, both are on and I've been looking at both of them way too much this evening. That's it. I need to go to sleep. So...of I go. No, really.

Okay, here's what we'll do - you go first. Then I'll log off.

Wait, wait wait - that doesn't work. I'll count to three then we'll both log off at the same time, ok? Good. One, two, three!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

For snacks, you could try dried fruit or those fruit cups for kids. Already chopped and mostly in fruit juice. They do have precut veg too. Just a thought for times like these when you're too busy or tired or stressed to cut your own but still want a healthy snack.

HiddenChicken said...

I always forget that they have veggies pre-chopped. Good suggestion.