Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Oooooohhhhh, gym!

Okay, that's a Ragsy-ism. He seems something he likes, he says a long drawn-out "Oh," then the object label. The most common: "Oooooohhhhh, stick!" Then comes straw, cat, mommy and daddy. Too bad I'm only third. Ah, well. Can't have everything.

My point is, though, that I've gotten access to the cardio room at work (free!), which I hope will go a long way to getting me back on track with the weight loss, which has stalled lately. I lost 26 pounds, got the shingles, lost 5 more, then got a barfing disease, lost an additional 5, and have gained back 7 and counting. It just keeps coming back. And I know why - I'm backsliding into dangerous habits.

First, my mom visited. That meant a large dinner every night, usually with appetizers (stinky cheese & crackers) and dessert plus wine.

Second, my husband happened. He's not a dieter - never has been, probably never will be. He's never had to worry much about his weight and when he does gain weight, he doesn't find it at all troublesome to just eat less and it comes off immediately.

Thirdly, I've hardly exercised. I got sick before my mom visited and couldn't work out. My mom visited and since I work, I didn't want to just leave her by herself if I was around. So I didn't work out. Then Ragsy started getting sick and I still didn't work out.

My clothes aren't getting tigheter...yet. But they will be. So I'm thinking that on days when I don't work out at night, I'll bring my clothes here and do something that won't render me too incredibly sweaty to work but will get my heart rate up, like the elliptical or the bike. That way, I can combine it with my treadmill workouts (which resume tonight) so I'll have a good bit of variety. Now I just have to figure out how to force myself to lift. That's a problem - I've got free weights, but after I run, I'm just not in the mood. I guess I can do them in front of the TV or while I hang out with my husband at night. Hmmm... Tough one.

I also need to change the Weight Watchers plan. I had been on the Flex Plan (the one with the daily allotment of points) and did really well. I thought I'd see how I did on the Core Plan, but since it doesn't have the same daily allotment and instead has a weekly allotment for non-core foods, I've found that I don't manage my intake as well. Mostly because the Flex Plan allows me to fool myself into thinking I've got more points than I really do since the core just has the weekly points, whereas Flex has both daily and weekly "treat" points.

Well, Flex again flex again, jiggity jig. (Hopefully NOT jiggly jiggly...I've still got another 25 pounds to go!)

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

Do they have weights at your office gym? That is generally a less-sweaty workout (at least for me) than anything cardio. Or, do your weights before you run, at least some of the time. That's actually what my sister (an on-again-off-again certified personal trainer) has told me several times.

I always feel like the cardio should be the more important part of the workout (maybe because it's a longer chunk of time in a single activity) and then am too tired to do any weights, but I know that the weights will give me alonger-lasting metabolic effect.

I never do weights at home, partly because my husband keeps "putting them away" (to keep kiddos from smashing toes I suppose). I have a couple of yoga/pilates type workout videos that get the job done, though, with a minimum of equipment.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! I'm always impressed when people can set a goal and stick to a diet, because I have never been able to for more than about 2 days running :)