Thursday, April 17, 2008

Working like you just don't care.

The past two days have been surprisingly wonderful and well worth the past few weeks of utter hell. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like my job. It's challenging. Frequently unfair. Extremely high profile. But it keeps me interested, gives me a chance to work on being more assertive and allows me to look like an expert, even though I frequently don't feel like one.

Still, preparing for this conference (now over!) was killer. But, now that things are successfully concluded and the people who would normally be giving me more work are all on vacation, I have down time, something that hasn't happened for me in about 2 years. So I have time to:

a. leave work early, come home and do stuff. Yay!
b. think about my direction at work - am I ambitious or not? what am I willing to do for advancement?
c. do the stuff that I do have to do really well.

So far I've been taking care of option a more than anything else. I feel that it's well deserved, but this way lies a slippery slope, so after today, I'll have to give it up, organize my desk and my head and work on b and c. Too bad option b is the hardest one of all.

I also need to get back on track once more with my weight loss. I was on the wagon last week, off this week. But the week's not over yet. I'll be working out tonight, tomorrow (hopefully) and Saturday to get in three times this week, then hopefully we'll go back to five times next week. No one ever said this weight loss racket was easy. Grrr...

Well, I'm off to enjoy my final minutes before taking off to pick my son up. We're going to Lowe's to get some dirt (I love to mix hummus with my mulch!), so I should probably change out of the ivory sweater I'm wearing, too. Hmmm... Wonder who I should talk to about creating a box garden for veggies in the back yard?

No comments: