Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weedy.

I remember when I used to like dandelions. They were fun - you rubbed them on your friends' arms and they turned yellow (the arms, not the friends - at least not all of them). Now they're kind of a weed and it stinks pulling them out. Again, because things are not as they used to be even 10 years ago. Great example: when I was an archaeologist over the summers, I could pull out a worm with my bare fingers and fling it at someone without cringing or having trouble eating pasta later. Now, not so much.

I was pulling out some dandelions with my bare fingers today and encountered a slug and rolly pollies and nearly ran in the opposite direction screaming my head off. Silly me - I realize that bugs are to be expected in a garden, some of them even desired. They mean that your soil is healthy and can support life (unless that life is grubs, then they destroy your soil). But I can't seem to help but have this very extremely reaction now - and even worse, it's just the opposite of the reaction I used to have. How very annoying. And embarrassing. Still, I love doing the gardening anyway. It's one of the few projects (other than writing and cooking) that I can work hard at and wind up with a satisfying, finished product - even if it does need to be done over and over - and I can call it my own. Even better, it's probably the only project I do that also entertains my son. My husband? Nope - to him, work is work, even if it is outside on a nice, sunny day. Good thing I like it, or we'd be screwed.

Anyway, back to cooking lunch for the adults. Mmmm... Homemade spinach-garlic pizza.

No comments: