Wednesday, April 30, 2008

When earphones just aren't enough.

I took someone's advice recently and got mysef some earphones to use at work so people will stop interrupting me while I'm working. Unfortunately, it's not stopping anyone from talking to me. Maybe it's because my big, curly hair hides the earphones. Maybe it's because people in my office are rude or clueless or maybe it's all three. All I know is that every. Damn. Time. I try to work, I wind up with someone knocking on my cube wall. I ignore them for as long as I can until they start calling my name.

"Hey. Hey. Um, Andi. Andi? I have just one quick question. " Grrr... This is incredibly annoying, especially when, thanks to one particular person, our office is loud enough to begin with.

This is yet one more argument for telecommuting - I got so much done when I was a freelance writer. I had absolutely nothing to distract me from my work (I can be very disciplined when I want to) and got about two times as much done in half the time. It doesn't help that the aforementioned annoying person wanders about the office bragging about her impending promotion, even though a) she hasn't been here a year, b) her product is not working, c) she received the promise from someone notorious for going back on promises and d) it completely destroys morale within the group.

Ah, to be young and stupid again. This is her first job out of school and it really shows. Jeez, it's loud.

1 comment:

flatflo said...

If the headphones aren't doing the trick, maybe try a phone headset? We have nice wireless ones in our office, tho they don't have an indicator light. In that way, it is annoying to have people try to talk to you while you are on the phone, but it could work well if you just point to it and every once in a while murmur, "arrival on the 22nd." or somesuch. If a cube-hoverer is persistent, cover the mouthpiece and tell them that you'll have to catch them later.

Till later,
Laura