Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We have a potato issue here.

I'm a little slap happy from having worked today since 6:30, when I got to our conference site to set up. It doesn't help that I'm sick with an awful sore throat and have had to work at night after Ragsy's gone to bed, too. (Yes, as I said, I caved, but only until after this damn conference is over.) Anyway, the above is a quote from someone earlier today on a walkie-talkie. It was really surreal. I don't think I've ever heard someone talk so seriously about potatoes before. So, day one of the conference is almost done and I'm praying that I don't have to schlep all the way downtown again since I have to pick up my son in about an hour and a half and he'd have to come, too.

Work has been VERY rough the past few days - dry runs in preparation for the conference, updating documents, creating new ones, slide decks, coordinating technology and people. Explaining things to our company's vice president of product management, prepping people so they know what they're talking about and dragging things in and out of my car to and from the hotel downtown. And that's just for my team. There are people in our company who've just done this for more than 500 people in such detail they've been able to provide each attendee with an individualized agenda that tells them what they're up to hour by hour each day! Amazing - managing my team for something like this is like herding cats. I can't imagine having to do that with ten such groups plus an extra 500 guests. Yeesh.

Anyway, if today went well, my job will be more or less done. So I'm waiting with bated breath for 5 p.m. If the news is good, I'll only need to go downtown once more tomorrow - maybe will even only need to call to check in - and I'll get to go home at 2 p.m. Even better, I'm working from home Thursday morning. Given that I was up and out of the house by 5:30 this morning, that sounds like heaven.

Well, off I go. I'm going to watch True Hollywood Story - quality TV - while I wait for 5 to come.

1 comment:

paulboal said...

I used to travel to a lot of conventions for work. When I arrived at one of the last ones I attended pre-Ada, I was surprised to see that another convention at the same convention hall was The American Potato Advisory Board. These people were very serious about their potatoes! It was hilarious to see their tabletops showcasing potatoes and potato products down the hall from our convention hall full of reference books and medical equipment.

--Sarahlynn