Monday, September 29, 2008

Yowza.

This weekend was fairly quiet. Friday night we went to dinner with some friends. Saturday morning, we went to the Magic House. We had hoped to go to a friend's party on Saturday afternoon, but Ragsy still takes mid-day naps and was out for the count until about 2:30. We had thought we might be able to make it if we got him into bed soon enough, but it was not to be. Since the party started at 1, we figured that it'd be a tad rude to show up demanding food at 3. So we went to get new shoes for Ragsy instead and wound up riding the carousel in Chesterfield Mall a few times. Saturday night some of the moms and teachers at Ragsy's daycare asked me to go to dinner, so I did, then Sunday we stayed home more or less all day since my husband was feeling a little under the weather.

Then today dawned. The stock markets are tanking. I'm starting to think that the speed with which information is available to me is not necessarily a good thing. From what I've been reading, the world economy is going to hell in a handbasket and the U.S. is leading the plunge. It's hard to figure out whether we should be truly worried or freaking out. And it's hard to have an opinion on whether we should be bailing out the banks when I really must admit that I don't have a clue what's going on other than that the banks have overpromised and underserved. I feel a bit stupid when it comes down to it. All this information available, and I still don't know what's going on.

At the same time, I feel extremely fortunate, though - it appears that I will have at least one job offer this week, potentially two. Which is kind of mind-blowing, given that one of them may be writing for a major financial company and therefore might not be something I'd want to accept. Unfortunately, the other one is in Illinois, but the drive isn't as bad as you'd think - just 35 or so minutes on a good day.

Anyway, what a day. I don't know whether this is good or bad or just to be expected. I do know that a lot of people will suffer and are suffering thanks to what's been going on. Probably not the right people, either.

No comments: