Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Just when you thought you were safe...

I had been seizure-free for two and a half years, since Ragsy was born. Had been. Unfortunately, I should have realized that certain birth control pills lessen the effectiveness of seizure medications. After two seizures Monday morning around 1:30 and 3 a.m., I'm sore, emotionless and my lip is swollen from being bitten.

Oh, well. It could be worse. It could be a situation where no one knew what caused it. So at least I have something I can pinpoint and say, "There. That's the problem." Then it can be fixed. That's more than I could say for my experiences in college. Still, I can't help but be extremely frustrated. I thought I was well controlled and, thanks to a lack of due diligence, I'm not.

Waking up yesterday morning at 1:30 was terrifying. I knew it was coming. I had been deeply asleep and I felt the aura starting. I sat up in bed, frantic, trying to talk myself down, trying to tell myself it would be ok. Then, nothing until about 7:45 a.m. when I heard Ragsy wake up and start yelling at my husband. Apparently he was "off" all day at daycare - they said he was combative and not as communicative as usual. But he seemed better today. Amazingly, he seemed to have gone through a developmental spurt this weekend. All of a sudden, he's speaking in almost full sentences most of the time, adding pronouns and adjectives appropriately.

Ah, well. I guess I'll just work through this. That's what you do, right? But I don't have to like it.

2 comments:

flatflo said...

I am so sorry, sweetie!

At least you were home in your own bed and not out among strangers or driving or some such. Plus you didn't have to get up and go into the office this morning!

It is amazing what hormones will do to you. I went of birth control for the first time since I was sixteen, just for a few months to see if my migraines or cramps or anything would get better. Very much not. Plus my acne got worse than puberty. So now I'm on Seasonique, so in theory only 1 menstruation in 3 months. The side effects are starting to diminish and I just got 4 prescriptions for acne treatment. Darn those hormones!

HiddenChicken said...

I'm sorry about your troubles lately - I've only had a few migraines, and I can't imagine having them on a regular basis. That seems like it would be a new level of hell. I hope your current medication helps clear it up. And I didn't notice any acne last time I saw you - you must be hiding it well because it doesn't show at all.

I can't believe how hormones can screw everything up. Can you imagine what's going to happen when I hit menopause? I try not to think about it! As it is, I'm slowly getting my emotions back. I'm still having trouble feeling any joy, sadness or irritation. It would be troubling if I could feel anything. My sense of smell is all screwy, too - everything smells new and chemically-treated, almost like the first day of school. It's really bizarre. Oh, well - it should be back and relatively normal by the end of the week. At least I'm finally getting hungry again. I had a handful of pretzel sticks yesterday and that was about it - even those made me nauseated.

I hate this. What a freaking disappointment. But at least I'm more likely to be stabilized sooner than if they didn't know what caused it at all. That means I don't have to wait to get a job. If things hold for more than a month, I'll be considered seizure free again, according to my neurologist.