Monday, September 15, 2008

To hell in a handbasket.

This week/weekend has been largely uneventful. My mom is visiting (leaving this afternoon), which has been at times fun and at others completely exasperating. Don't worry - I won't go into it too much, suffice to say that she's very set in her ways. Anyway, I have several meetings with several companies/individuals this week starting tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Other than that, the senior director at my former company - the person I disliked and found completely unethical - was fired. Yes, I do feel somewhat satisfied. It was certainly overdue. However, the reasons why he was fired, while no doubt true, will follow him for the rest of his career and potentially prevent him from finding work again unless he leaves the state. Like I said, he deserves it, but his wife and children do not.

One other person has been put on a performance improvement plan, which is code for one step away from being fired. I actually feel sorry for that guy - his hiring was not well thought out, and it's not his fault if the company can't see that he wasn't an appropriate hire to begin with. Particularly given that he had to relocate across the entire country.

I feel a little like the Godfather, since my phone's been ringing off the hook all weekend. I think my leaving contributed to this happening, but the wheels were set in motion by the senior director's own unethical behavior long, long ago. Well, I'm sure I'll blog again today (luck you!), but I'm having trouble concentrating since my mom's talking. I should be paying attention anyway, given that she's my mom and I don't see her often. So, off I go.

No comments: