Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Welcome to the swamp.

Our PATNC rep visited us today and, as I was readying Ragsy for daycare and walking him and his dad outside, I noticed that our lawn was unusually swampy. Hmmm... That's weird. So I walked along the path to the driveway and heard my child yell, "Yay! It's a river!" Um, what? Last I checked, there is no river anywhere on the property.

So I walk over to him and notice that there is, indeed, at least a small streamlet gushing merrily down my driveway. I look up the driveway. Yep, those guys across the street are still hammering away, but they didn't do any work in the ground, so that wouldn't affect it. My husband went up into the yard and noticed...nothing. Nothing but a swampy yard with water welling up. So they went on their way and I called Missouri American Water Company, who informed me that they could do nothing to fix the problem.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense? Well, it does if you're Missouri American Water Company, but not to me. Apparently all the people in St. Louis County own their water lines so, unless the problem affects the street, you're on your own and have to call a plumber to fix it. That sucks. What stinks even more is that my meeting yesterday was rescheduled for today so I have to wait to get someone to look at it until after I get back, around 2 p.m. Crud. Sometimes I hate home ownership. Oh, well. To cheer myself up, maybe I should go play in the swamp. If I'm lucky, perhaps we'll have ibis or fish or something. Grrr.

No comments: