Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Talk, talk talk.

To my surprise, over the past week, my husband and I have been talking more. It's not necessarily that we've had communication problems recently, but it seems that most of his time has been spent playing various video games and, other than mealtimes, I've rarely seen him. Add to this my nightly ritual of going for a walk regardless of the time and we don't see each other a whole lot. So, I was pleasantly surprised this week when we happened to get into several more-than-hour-long conversations.

Last night we discussed Sarah Palin and an interesting discussion I heard on NPR. One of the speakers asserted that, although we might want to deny it, women are still in most households, the glue that holds everyone together. They do most of the childrearing, their children need them on a very physical level at a young age, women are responsible for most household duties including household paperwork, cleaning, cooking, etc. and that ignoring that fact even with respect to Sarah Palin, particularly when her family was considered part of her resume and was being touted to prove what a great candidate she is, would be disingenuous. I felt that was an excellent point, and that to ignore such things is ridiculous when we constantly have her family life being pushed in our faces as a good reason for her to be VP.

After that, the conversation drifted toward religion and what we wanted to tell our son. He's already asked a few questions about churches and how they're different from other buildings. So far, I've explained the concept of god in the simplest terms I can think of (i.e., in terms of a father or mother watching over everyone) and have let him know that people go to such buildings to be closer to god and talk to him or her. I'm not sure what I'm going to say from there - if he asks me if he can talk to god, I'll say absolutely. If he asks me if I think god will listen, I'm not sure what my response will be. Do I think god will listen? I honestly don't know. Is god really there? I don't know that either. On both points, I'd like to think so.

Anyway, once that was covered, we talked about the idea of polytheism vs. monotheism, then on to atheism, which I think is an over-used, misunderstood term. One side feels that atheism equals chaos and devil worshipping and nothingness; many people from the other side who ascribe to atheism simply don't know or don't care about a higher power, so they aren't actually atheists - mostly just disinterested. Or at least that's my experience.

That said, our bedroom door is slowly swinging open and shut and it's starting to freak me the heck out. I hate that - it happens every few days. I'll be sitting here working or surfing and out of the corner of my eye, see something about the shadow change. I'll turn my head and watch the sliver of light become slimmer and slimmer, then wider and wider even though the AC is no longer on. Oh, well.

No comments: