Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Politics.

I rarely talk about politics on this blog. I have several friends who are very active in the political sphere and, because we have vastly similar views and my friends are more articulate than I in expressing them, I generally hold off. I will say that I'm absolutely voting for Obama this election, and I did in the primaries. I think the nomination of Sarah Palin for VP on McCain's ticket is a travesty and feels like his group is trying the throw us little women a bone.

But on the whole, I'm sick of politics. We've been hearing about the November elections for what, three years? Four? From where these people eat their food and get their hair cut to actual issues and ill-advised comments, we could probably find out far more intimate details about these people than we would ever know about many of our friends. And some of it is important. But so very much of it is not. I couldn't give a crap who vacations where or how many houses they have (though it is a little weird for the owner not to know how many they have).

I don't consider it newsworthy if a candidate had a physical and came out healthy, or even if he or she has a cold or the flu or a melanoma (my friend has had one and she's only 33). Unless someone has broken the law, their actions grossly contradict their purported values, those values change or they do something else outrageous or vet extremely sick, I don't want to hear about it anymore.

I hate to say it, but I listen far more to my friends than I do the radio or TV or even the candidates themselves anymore. After several years of listening to this BS, I find it far more palatable from them than from people expressing recreational outrage on either side.

No comments: