Monday, September 29, 2008

Enough with the finger pointing.

I find it appalling that it was so predictable that once the bailout bill failed in Congress, both parties immediately started to blame one another. Guess what, politicians? I don't give a rat's patootie what party you're in. You were hired in the first place to be leaders. To represent your constituents' best interests in good times and bad. These are bad times. Get over yourselves and do your jobs. Lead, for God's sake, whatever side of the aisle you sit on.

You're supposed to know things that I don't, to know intimately what's going on in our country and to be informed enough to represent me (whether I voted for you or not) to fix things that are broken and ideally to prevent them from being broken in the first place. So tell me - what's going on, what are you doing to fix it and why is what you think should be done going to work? Alternatively, why should we just do nothing? I've had it up to here with excuses.

To that end, politicians and even our media, shame on you. Shame on you for worrying about your sorry asses when there are untold numbers of people whose livelihoods, chances for college, retirements and jobs may be going down the tubes. Shame on you for not giving constituents the information they need not to be terrified or at least to start formulating a plan of action to remain as solvent as possible. From where I sit, all I see is a big, black hole and a bunch of jerks standing around screaming about it.

Here is my wish list for the coming weeks. None of it will come true, but, hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

1. I wish to become more educated about what this means to me and my family. That is within my power, at least somewhat. I can make that come true. In fact, I've already started reading about it and found an awesome assessment of the issue here.

2. I wish that, every time one of our so-called leaders points a finger without recommending a solution, said finger is dipped in the same BS we've been listening to since this whole thing started.

3. I wish that the media would stop stroking our politicians' egos by reporting their fingerpointing. It's like encouraging a screaming toddler by giving him attention - it only makes him scream louder and doesn't fix the problem. So cut it out already.

Our political system has become a parody of itself. A caricature. And the sad thing is - it's largely deserved. In a country that eschews academia and discourages logic, in a land that is run by people who no longer even have a common agenda - which should be the health and well-being of the country - is it so crazy that we should stand on the brink of financial uncertainty, perhaps ruin? I want my country to be run by people smarter than me, more altruistic than me, who see problems and fix them instead of pointing at them and each other.

No comments: