Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Now I know what I want to do.

So, after receiving a few calls about jobs from potential employers, I've thought long and hard about exactly what it is I want. I think I know now:

1. I want a job that allows me to be responsible for the work I get done. In other words, I don't want to be a warm body - if I'm done, I want to go home. But I want to be important enough to be indispensible.

2. I want a job that challenges me and makes me work hard while I'm there.

3. I want a job that allows me to make a good amount of money and permits advancement.

4. I want to be rewarded for good work.

5. I don't want to stop writing professionally.

6. My job should be something that allows me to enjoy my personal life. In other words, it shouldn't follow me around after work and on vacations like my previous one did; it should allow me to make enough to pay my bills and enjoy my family.

So, that's what I want. I think I can find it, but it'll take some doing. Like I said, I received a few calls this week from potential employers asking about my salary range, availability, etc. Obviously, I'm not going to hand over the above list, but at least now I know exactly what's important to me. Now, onto the actual work I'd be doing: I think that to meet all the above criteria, my original assumption that brand management is the way to go is accurate. Unfortunately, it's hard to be in a really visible position and have the leeway not to be available all the time. If that doesn't work out, I'd also do governmental/regulatory affairs. I'm good at it and I know what I'm doing. Most of the calls I've gotten would draw on my experience with Medicare, which is fine. Fortunately, it's enough of a rarefied niche that I should be able to get closer to the salary I'd want than I would with brand management. Hmmm... Tricky. Very tricky.

No comments: