Monday, December 21, 2009

Weekend.

This weekend was good. We were really busy and completely disorganized and, much as we hated it, had to turn down an opportunity to spend the evening with friends. Oh, yeah, and I turned the answering machine message indicator back on - my son had turned it off at some point. So if you called on Friday and I didn't get back to you, that's why. We really need to just get our voicemail electronically. It's too easy to screw with an answering machine.

Regardless, my combined total hours of sleep for the weekend was approximately five hours, which made me less than coherent, especially after a busy Saturday and Sunday morning/early afternoon. Hanging out with me would have been a bad idea, or really boring at best.

Getting Evelyn to sleep for her weekend naps wasn't quite as frustrating as it was the weekend before, not because the noise level in the house was any less and not because I was being hunted down less, but maybe because she's getting used to it. Maybe. Every time I make an assumption about this kid she changes, blowing whatever I said completely out of the water. I guess if you're developing that fast, it makes sense.

The best thing about having her, though, is that I'm a lot less resentful than I was when I had Ragsy. Isn't that horrible? But it's true that the first one is a huge shock. The second one makes things exponentially more difficult, but at least I know what to expect or, rather, not to expect (i.e., sleep, personal space, coherent thoughts), so I don't have to deal with as many mental challenges.

I also got to bake cookies with Ragsy, an activity I've been promising but incapable of fulfilling for a couple of weeks now. He loved every minute of it and ate almost an entire batch by himself in under ten minutes. It was kind of disgusting, but I swear I just turned away long enough to get some out of the oven and cut two or three new ones.

What else? I took Ragsy shopping at Ulta to get a gag gift for my sister. He almost knocked down a 10-foot halogen lamp, which, if knocked over, would have taken out several displays and potentially gone through a window. After that it was time to leave.

Other than that, the whole thing was still a blur of get up, nurse, walk walk walk, put baby down and pray to the powers that be that she'll sleep then get in bed and pass out, only to be awakened by Ragsy, who has taken to stripping the covers off me as soon as he gets in because he knows I'll doze off mid-sentence unless I'm cold. Oh, well. Whatever works, right? After that, it was feed everybody and bemoan my lack of personal hygiene.

No comments: