Saturday, December 12, 2009

So much for schedules.

I had worked out a good schedule for weekdays with Evelyn: feeding in the morning followed by her blissed-out morning nap in the bouncinette for about two-ish hours while I eat lunch, shower and work out. Then more food, play for a while, more food and eventually we pass out together with her on my chest in the chair because nursing makes me incredibly sleepy, thanks to all those hormones. I can fight them in the morning, but can't in the afternoon. It doesn't help that Evelyn refuses to sleep anywhere but my chest in the afternoon. Already she has her preferences. Most involve being held by me. So after that, we nurse some more and get Ragsy.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is that, obviously, on weekends schedules go out the window. Mine, my husband's, Ragsy's and Evelyn's. Gone. Evelyn's schedule so far is key, however. But I'm not about to try to explain that to Ragsy because I don't want to create sibling rivalry where it's not necessary. But still... I have never been so tempted to throttle him as I was today. Every time I would get Evelyn almost down for her morning nap (eyes drooping, mouth starting to go slack), he would hunt me down and bellow something along the lines of, "See my train, mommy! Come see!" Evelyn's eyes would snap wide open like a doll's, creating yet another half hour of put-down time, which was unfortunate because Ragsy had asked to decorate the tree with me and my husband while Evelyn slept. Well, guess who never slept? Well, until now, of course, when she's in her afternoon nap mode and apparently must sleep on my chest. Grrr.

I even tried hiding in the basement. I was successful until I got into the bedroom. Just as I was leaning down to put Evelyn to bed, a madly giggling Ragsy rocketed by, waking Evelyn up. Again. So we've been tag-team parenting all day. Tag-team parenting meaning me putting Evelyn down and running out to spend time with Ragsy and my husband, then my spidey senses tingling only to have to pick Evelyn up yet again, put her down, rinse, repeat because Evelyn refuses to let anyone but me get in a 10-foot radius because she's so tired since she missed her morning nap.

Anyway, at least we finally got lunch. At about 3 p.m. I crammed a tuna sandwich down in about 10 minutes while nursing Evelyn and trying not to create a fishy-smelling baby. She's been permanently attached to my breast lately when she's not sleeping, unless I get really tired when I hand my husband a bottle of my stash and pass out.

Oh, well. The Christmas tree is up and Ragsy got to spend time with me. And to my shock, my husband managed to make box-mix cinnamon muffins by himself without asking me any questions, even, "What should we have?"! This is exciting because it has never happened before in our 8 years of living together. Even takeout has been preceded by multiple questions about what we should have, when we should have it and what method we'll use to get it. This was just...awesome.

1 comment:

Sleep Coach Pam said...

Hello Sleep Starved Hidden Chicken,

I feel your pain. When my first child was born in 2006, I was sleep deprived for the first four and half months of his life. I felt like I was living in a fog and was desperate for sleep. All I was doing was trying to get him to nap and to sleep at night. It was all I could think about. The tension between my husband just got worse and worse and I became resentful of every time he would go to bed for the night. I also became resentful of Max and felt like I had the biggest mistake of my life by having a child.

Finally, I did find a solution and it was like a miracle took place in our family - sorry, I know it sounds pretty dramatic, but it is the truth.

The good news for you, if it is any consolation, is that if it feels like it is taking longer for Evelyn to get to sleep - she might be searching for her own self soothing strategies rather tahn having to rely on you.

If you would like to hear more, I would welcome the opportunity to help you.

Warmest regards,
Pam
www.sleepsense.net/kelowna