Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Celebrate with a snootful.

Of snot, that is. My job offer came through yesterday. A little less than I was hoping, but significantly more than I was earning before. I'm still considering, but I'll probably take it despite the location. The fact that they offer flex time, potential to telecommute once I've been there a few months and two yearly reviews to start with generous raises on decent reviews sort of sealed the deal. Plus benefits are a couple hundred cheaper than at my previous employer and about $500 cheaper than what we're paying through my husband's.

I had hoped to celebrate, at least a little, but a raw throat, stuffy nose and fever made that less than appealing. Add to that a toddler who took almost two hours to put to sleep, my own difficulties sleeping (up until 2 a.m.), then being woken at 5:30 and I'm feeling pretty rotten. But there's a bright side: I can still take a nap. A very long nap. And I don't have to provide an answer until tomorrow or the next day. And my throat is less raw than it was last night, which was what kept me up in the first place, so dozing off won't be as difficult as yesterday.

The downsides? Well, this seemed to originate with Ragsy, but if it didn't, he's next. Which means that the business lunches I had planned for Thursday and Friday will need to be rescheduled for next week, which could be problematic for my offer if I'm extended a different one at a different company on this side of the metro area for more money. But, Ragsy needs his mom when he's sick and I won't begrudge him that if it comes to it. Given that he instantly popped up when I went into his room this morning to comfort him and started jabbering at me, there's a good possibility he was just ready to get up and (hopefully) not sick. Or he'll wait. Those are famous last words, aren't they?

I thought he'd be born in time for me to be able to go on FMLA or short-term disability, but he was born four days too early for that. He's never been good at waiting.

No comments: