Sunday, October 26, 2008

You not scared?

We've had a great weekend so far. Yesterday was a bit rocky, since we took Ragsy to one of his daycare's sleepovers Friday night for a much-needed parents' night out. He always lets us have it for a day or so afterward and yesterday was no exception. At all. In fact, it was a lot worse than usual. He's never been prone to tantrums, which made his hour-long scream fest all the more disturbing. Normally I'd worry that he was sick, but it was all tantrum this time. Oh, well.

We then went to a Halloween party, which was a lot of fun. Sadly, Ragsy refused to wear his costume and we weren't about to court disaster by attempting to force him - it just wasn't worth it. Plus, I enjoy myself so much dressing up that I'll more than make up for him not wanting to.

Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year, followed closely by Christmas. What could be better than loads of candy and dressing up without the added pressure to give people gifts? The only problem with this year's Halloween party was that I was so frazzled from dealing with Ragsy all day that I didn't have the usual filter on my words. I don't think I was snappish (or if I was, it was entirely Ragsy related and had nothing to do with any other company), but I definitely had problems making sense or participating fully in conversations at some points. You know, you have one ear to the conversation and one to your kid, hoping - just hoping - he doesn't mel down in spectacular fashion, only to have to be carried out screaming. Oh, well. That's what friends are for, right? Not caring if you're not making any sense whatsoever.

Anyway, one of the best parts of the party was watching Ragsy walk up to a friend dressed as Death and trail after him like a shadow, asking over and over if he was scared of pirate ships. He had absolutely no fear, even though I would have been hiding under a table shrieking bloody murder if I were his age - he was just completely fascinated. Our friend picked him up and snarled in his face, but Ragsy asked him again if he was scared of pirate ships. What a weird kid. I like it.

This morning was spent at the zoo. Ragsy had been asking for weeks to go, but we already had plans or he was sick, so it just hasn't happened. So, I kept my promise today and took him out. After we were done seeing all the animals on the perimeter, riding the carousel and looking at the trains, Ragsy got to pick out something from the gift shop and eat some fries. I'm lucky that he's such a cheap date - I had thought it would be like going to a baseball game, but after buying an elephant pincher, an order of fries and some milk, the total was just over $7.00. Sweet.

After he showed off his newest purchase to anyone and everyone who was nice enough to pay the least bit of attention ("Hey, man. Man, I got an elephant. See my elephant, man? It's go [insert elephant sound]."), we got into the car and drove back. He and his dad are still battling out naptime. I might get a jump on our weekday cooking while they're duking it out.

No comments: