Friday, October 10, 2008

Time to stop watching the news.

I'm not normally the type of person who promotes putting her head in the sand. I'm also a born skeptic; however, every time I read or watch the news, my blood pressure inches up just that much more. The more I watch, the more it's starting the look like Washington is Nero and the world is burning. I am lucky to have a job to go to on Monday, even if I'm not especially jazzed about it. I guess I should just focus on that. I've got something to go to, something that will keep us paying the bills, even if my husband's job is axed. A lot of people, and the numbers are increasing daily it seems, can't say the same.

As I expected, the insurance industry is being scrutinized next. I imagine healthcare will follow shortly since they're so closely linked. It makes sense. Both insurance and healthcare should be scrutinized. What terrible systems. Ridiculously expensive, extraordinarily cumbersome, designed not to help anyone but the company providing the service.

Anyway, this morning was good. Ragsy woke up happy and didn't scream or whine at all. I don't know if it had anything to do with the talk I had with him last night or not, but he was much better. He tends to respond really well to me telling him what's going on, so I just held him on my lap and told him that I loved him very much and that he'd always be special to me, and that I had more than enough love to go around for both him and his dad. And if he ever felt like he needed me to hold him or just listen to tell me, that I'd always have time for him.

I wish I'd been so explicit sooner - I keep forgetting how literal he is. I mean, I kept telling him I love him, kept giving him all the extra hugs and kisses, but I often forget that, even though he picks up on emotional undercurrents, he doesn't just know what I mean like an adult would. This is the same person that jumps up and down in front of the car before getting in if I tell him to hop in. I'm sure it's not over, but this is the first morning in a week or two that hasn't involved a tantrum when daddy comes near. It was such a pleasure!

Oh, well. Off I go. I'm a glutton for punishment - I'm watching the presidential address while reading the news online. I think I'll turn it off now and finish ripping the wallpaper from my guest bath. Even though I'm incredibly sore from working on it for three hours last night, that's bound to be more enjoyable than listening to this crap.

No comments: