Monday, June 30, 2014

Dear Supreme Court,

I am very disappointed in the choices you've made recently. As I would say to my children, I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at your choices. I find it baffling that you feel it acceptable for a corporation to have a religious leaning when said corporation is not a religious institution. I also find it baffling that you believe it appropriate to allow employers to determine their employee's access to contraception. Furthermore, I disagree that it's appropriate to remove the so-called abortion buffer zone around abortion clinics.

While you may feel that the choices you've made this last week are appropriate, I strongly, strongly disagree. They make me fear not only for my ability to make choices in a medical setting with a healthcare professional, they make me concerned for my daughter's ability to do so, my family's ability to do so and many others' ability to do so. You say that the government does not belong in private choices. So, what your recent decision has told me is that, while the government cannot be involved in my private choices, you're fine with other people - including my employer and complete strangers who are not medical professionals - being involved in said private choices.

Obamacare is bad because it impedes individual choice. Unless it allows individual choice, then it's bad. Freedom to choose is important in this country. Unless someone doesn't like the choice I'm making, may make or could be forced to make by circumstances, then my freedom to choose goes away.

I wish I could make a more intelligent-sounding argument. A more sound, legal, professional rationale for why I believe these choices are a mountain of garbage that makes me afraid and ashamed of my country. But, given how close to home these issues are, that's tough.

That is all. Now, go sit in a corner and think about what you've done. And pray for those of us who have to live with it.

Love,
Me

No comments: