Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So, it's going to be one of those weeks.

Ragsy spent the weekend alternating between angel and demon. It seems that the rest of the week will be the same. And it sucks, for him (lots of time outs, and I can't imagine being that upset for so long feels good), for us (I've begun grinding my teeth at night again from the stress and have raised my voice far more than I like) and for Evelyn (who isn't a huge fan of noise to begin with; she'll just have to get used to that, though). Anyway, on Sunday for about a three-hour period, every time me or my husband addressed Ragsy, he would fall apart and begin these ear-shattering screams. We talked briefly to the pediatrician about it yesterday and his teachers, who advised us that yes, it's normal, no, he's great at preschool and to be calm throughout. I'm trying. Really, really hard. I know that raising my voice does not magically make him listen better. It scares him and all he hears is yelling. But, Christ on a cracker, I sometimes understand why people spank their kids, even if I'd never do it.

I'm glad that Ragsy chose preschool instead of us yesterday, even though he had the option of staying home. I was initially depressed, but after this morning, I got over it. Oh, well. I guess I don't always have to like my kid as long as I always love him.

No comments: