Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh, hell.

I bring disease and pestilence to whosoever shall come into contact with me. And here's why:

So, I put Evelyn down for her nap today at 9 a.m. She was clear-eyed and calm. She woke up screaming at 10:30 with her left eye sealed shut and seeping. I picked her up, called the doctor's office and went in, knowing already that it was pinkeye. So they prescribed some drops and I picked them up and went home. I tried to eat lunch, but Evelyn wasn't having any of it. So, I chucked my sandwich and we played for a while (like Ragsy, she's apparently a happy patient when alert) and she seemed...off. You know that feeling you get where your spidey senses start tingling? I kept putting it off, thinking, "I've already been to the pediatrician. They're going to think I'm insane." So I waited, then thought, "I really don't want to have to go to urgent care. I'd rather they think I'm nuts than want to kick myself when she's really in pain and shrieking on Saturday." So I called and they patiently made room for me and I brought her in again.

My pediatrician, who I love, told me not to worry, that she understood (and would happily bill our insurance). She took a look at Evelyn's ears and, lo and behold, fluid and redness in both. More antibiotics, this time oral. And now she has diarrhea. And she can't sleep because her ears hurt, her eyes burn and she can't nurse for comfort because, well, her ears hurt. I'd give her Tylenol, but I can't remember how much the doctor said to give, so we (or mostly me since she won't let anyone else touch her) are up a creek without a paddle. Tonight is going to be a fun one. Still, I can deal with diarrhea and sleeping on the couch for a night or so as long as the antibiotics kick in soon.

No comments: