Monday, January 25, 2010

Sicko.

My husband has now come down with whatever it was that Ragsy had. I also have it, but to a lesser degree - just a mild headache, scratchy throat and tiredness, but I'm always tired, so it's tough to tell whether that's illness-related to just normal motherhood. Plus, I seem to have a stronger immune system than everyone in the house, unless, of course it's a serious self-induced illness like shingles where my body decides to attack itself. My body is its own worst enemy. Maybe fate has decided to give me a break on external illnesses because of it.

Anyway, my husband is home with me and Evelyn today. He feels "weak," has a sore throat, headache, cough, snotty nose, etc. Normally I'd giggle at him for his choice of words, since whenever he says that it reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara, but in this case, I'd buy it. I just hope that this is what Evelyn had two weeks ago, but I'm not usually that lucky. So if she's going to get sick, hopefully she'll do it before I have to go back to work. I'd feel more sympathy for my husband than fear for her normally, but he's an adult and she's not.

The weekend went well, though moreso for me than my husband and Ragsy. While my method of getting Ragsy to sleep worked, it didn't help that I went out for the first time on Friday night. I had a great time (it was our holiday party - a tad belated) and awesome food, but came home to find that Evelyn had been up the whole time, alternately fussing, dozing and outright crying. The next day, Ragsy was irritable and out of sorts from having to be so patient while Evelyn gave her dad hell, so he spent a lot of time in time out. I've read books that say you're supposed to be tender and patient with your kid if they're acting out, but I disagree that I'm supposed to avoid discipline when my kid starts hitting his father.

Anyway, yesterday was a bit better and this morning even better, probably because we all got up, had breakfast together, then I took Ragsy to preschool instead of his father. My next experiment will be to start getting Ragsy out of bed earlier. His dad likes to stay in bed until the last possible moment, then rush out the door. I had been getting Ragsy up at 7, sometimes a bit before, so he'd have time to have breakfast, play a little and get dressed, but he'd been sleeping until 7:45 or 8, getting stuffed into his clothes and rushed out the door. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with his inability to sleep at night. We'll see.

Urhg. Evelyn's up again. So much for her sleeping better in her own room. I put her in there so my husband's coughing wouldn't wake her up. I guess she's just wired to wake up, probably because she sleeps so well at night.

No comments: