Thursday, August 7, 2008

Letting go.

I decided I'm going to try to stop complaining about work and will try to take less glee in its demise. My last snide comments about it: no one is happy about the reorg. At least four people have stopped by to express significant concern about my leave-taking within my department (and more have from without); I've been offered and have refused other jobs in other areas of the company - not because I hate it, but because the jobs just weren't up my alley; and the most obnoxious person there has had many complaints about her poor presentation abilities and unprofessional manner, up through the vice president.

The situation is atrocious, I can't help but take some satisfaction that their stupid decisions are already biting them in the ass and they'll need to reorg again within six weeks and they're conveniently ignoring a whole chunk of compliance with federal requirements. That said, I no longer have to work there. I've handed in my resignation, have determined an exit date, am exchanging information with people I want to keep in touch with and have been receiving interest in my services, both creative and not-so-creative from without the company and from within. So, while I am bitter - very - it's not my place to encourage dissatisfaction even among those I'm closest to and who I know are extremely unhappy.

So I'm going to just shut it. I went to lunch with a group of work friends on Monday and it was just...ugly. No one was mad at me, but the whole conversation resembled jackals cackling and tumbling over each other to bash management. Everyone at the table wanted out - NOW - and all were enjoying the fact that, unless management changes significantly, the products we've built over the past few years will go down in a big bonfire.

While I've enjoyed sitting on the sidelines watching people I don't like set themselves up (yes, I'm not always nice - but you knew that already), I've never been the type to take overt enjoyment when others fail. I'm not that person. I don't want to be that person. And there are new people at work who have no clue of what's going on and I don't want to taint their experience just because mine has been tainted. So I'm going to try to be nice.

I've not been outwardly unprofessional at work, but since I'm leaving, it seems to encourage others to say things they probably shouldn't. I'll listen and offer advice, but won't encourage setups or malicious behavior.

I'm making this sound absolutely awful. And it is bad, though not as bad as my previous full-time employment. It's just a political cluster...ahem. It's unnecessary and stupid and no longer my business. So there. I'm taking the high road this time. Yay me (bleh).

No comments: