Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Relax!

I guess I'm just not a very relaxing person. My husband made me promise that I'd take the whole week to decompress, but here it is the second day of my self-imposed unemployment, and I'm going a little batty, even though I've gotten things done. Instead of achieving any kind of serenity, to give my head time to clear, I'm cleaning, doing laundry, working in the garden, getting oil changes and stripping off disco wallpaper. Okay, haven't started on the wallpaper yet, but still...

My conclusion: try to relax, but also be active and do things that allow me to think. My husband doesn't understand that, in general, I have about five things going on in my head at any given time anyway. Sometimes I just need to get them out. Anytime is a good example. Heck, right now is a good example. Right now I'm wondering how much the credit card bill will be at the end of the month given my 50,000-mile service on my car, the mulch and paint purchases I made today at Lowe's, plus what I should make for dinner, should I work out?, when do I start weeding today? and what do I want to do, plus a great book or story idea.

I think having a child has made my thoughts even more chaotic than they were before, too. When Ragsy is around, my attention is primarily focused on him unless he's off playing by himself, and he's still at an age when he can't exactly run off for an hour and entertain himself. So by the time I get myself all alone, I've got so much going on in my head I feel like it's practically leaking out my ears. I think I'll just have to get a grip on that - if we decide to have anymore and I stay at home more, then I'll have to figure out how to deal.

Oh, well. Now you know my thought process, such as it is. That's probably one reason my posts are such babbling nonsense - you're unfortunately getting all my stream of consciousness and I'm doing a big, fat brain dump.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

Sounds like me when I have a day off (or even a few hours). My brain just goes nuts trying to track all of the to-do's, so unless I divide up my time, I am constantly worried about all the stuff that I'm not doing. I have to make a schedule. It sounds counterintuitive to some people, but I think it's just my personality type :)

I decide ahead of time that I will spend, say 2 hours on housework, then have an hour to workout, then have 2 hours for writing or sewing or reading or being a couch potato or whatever, etc.

That way I know that I've covered all of those guilt-trip things (the housework & errands) and when I get to my "relax" time I know that I am not neglecting anything else.

Of course, if the thought of doing this makes you want to run away screaming (or makes you even more stressed about relaxing), feel free to ignore me :)