Friday, August 29, 2008

Stream of consciousness and my ego.

I've been getting regular updates from my former workplace (calls at least once a day, sometimes more) and am taking unabashed pleasure in learning that just three days without me has them completely panicked. Apparently no one can make heads or tails of the guidelines I managed, new ones were released on Monday and no one knows what to do with the adjustments. Hah! And, yes, I'm a total narcissist. And that makes me a bad person. But I'm having trouble helping myself.

Anyway, I'm meeting a former colleague today for lunch. It should be interesting. She actually works somewhere else now, but I'm looking forward to hearing from her.

In other news, Ragsy was much better today. As I've noted before a long time ago, his misbehavior often coincides with greater exposure to TV, especially when it's combined with allergies. My theory is that, especially on weekdays, TV is a bad thing because we have precious little time with him as it is, given that even though I'm at home we're trying to keep his schedule the same so it doesn't change again when I'm working, so his time with us is displaced by time in front of the TV. In other words, he's so mesmerized that by the time we need to leave, he's had limited parental time, so he feels like he didn't get any attention, which is somewhat true since any attention we would have given him would have gone over his head anyway. How are those for run-on sentences?

My point is that we'd inadvertently allowed him to watch more than the typical half-hour limit of TV for a couple days in a row, so I cut him off cold turkey this morning. Once he realized I wasn't going to give in to demands for Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street, he transformed into his usual, sweet self, with only a teeny sprinkling of jerkish-ness, thanks to continued allergies and low-grade mouth pain. By the time his dad was ready to go, we'd cuddled, kissed and played and he'd fueled up on enough of my undivided attention and time that the screaming and whining had completely gone away. Amazing how that works, isn't it? Even more impressive is how dense I am when it's darker longer - it's as though my awareness is directly related to the amount of light available.

So, I'm totally babbling, which is why this post is entitled the way it is. I was tagged for a meme recently and I plan to follow through, but I've never done one before, so I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want to do it and who else I would tag (unfortunately, I think the person who tagged me has more online friends than I do - I'm so lame).

No comments: