Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The cat's out of the bag.

They finally announced my departure at work. My last day is August 22. What's really bizarre is that, unlike any other place I've worked where they want to suck you dry before you leave, they seem to fully expect me to slack off, not caring if I show up late or if I get anything done other than a list of my projects before I leave. I've decided to rise above - somewhat - by meeting with the potential owners of all my stuff, but have also decided to take liberal use of my large quantities of available vacation time. Which is why I have no qualms taking a paid time off day on very short notice to clean for my father-in-law's impending visit.

It's very strange, though. You'd think with something as complicated as Medicare policy and law, plus ERISA rules, they would be wanting me to do more. And most people are freaking out to some degree, but they don't really expect me to do anything about it or care. It rubs me the wrong way because it's so incredibly stupid and short sighted. I mean, they're screwed. Really, really screwed. And they know it. I've had several people ask me to stay and two have gone to their supervisors to convince them to offer me more to get me to stick around, but they're playing it awfully cool.

Given management's reaction, I'm relieved to be leaving. If I were staying and another key player were leaving, I now know they wouldn't give a rat's ass and would expect me to pick up the slack, working God knows how long every day, because they couldn't trouble themselves to care. Oh, well. Guess I should eat breakfast, get my clothes on and do something around here. I'm kind of glad it's wet and rainy outside - if I weren't, I'd feel obligated to do some yard work.

No comments: