Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dunder!

I realized that I haven't been writing much about Ragsy lately in favor of my own problems. So I thought I'd babble on about him for a while, then babble on about myself. So, to that end...

Ragsy has been wonderful. He had a week where he was whining almost constantly. But in retrospect, he could have been responding to my own stress, which was sky high a few weeks ago, but has since dissipated to a low-level hum. Instead, he's glowing. He's delighted with everything that moves - trucks, schoolbuses (completely obsessed with riding in one) and especially trains. He can't wait to get his own underwear, which we've been telling him he can have - and pick out himself - when he uses the big boy potty regularly.

He's clearly looking forward to cooler weather or just expressing his own little eccentricities, since every chance he gets, he dons a coat, hat and gloves. He's also becoming quirkier in other, delightful, ways. Dunder is a great example. It's a word he's created for when he swings a bat. He doesn't say it any other time, but stresses it hugely whenever it's time to say it. "Mommy, I say dunder?" "Yep, you're saying dunder." Then I duck and run for cover.

He's also the only kid I've ever met who wants to hang out with monsters in his closet or under the couch. Apparently there's a particularly fun monster located under the front living room chair. He growls about once a week (really the sound of some lawn devotee outside using a weed whacker) and instead of running away screaming, Ragsy chooses to run toward the monster, lift up the skirt of the chair and visit. When he can't find him, he asks to see him soon. Weird. But cool. I'd rather he want to hang out with the monsters than be afraid of them.

So that's what's going on with Rags.

As for myself, I sent out my farewell e-mail today, a harder thing than I was expecting. I was actually tearing up when I wrote it and I've been getting calls and e-mails all morning. Good stuff. I'm glad I'll be missed. Now I feel all full of myself. I'm sure that'll go away when I find myself unemployed and panicked. Oh, well. Then I'll just have to start my own business again, now won't I?

No comments: