Tuesday, August 19, 2008

End of days.

Well, as a paid employee anyway. I've been told I look 10 years younger now that I've turned in my resignation. That tells me that either a) I look like I'm 20 (ideal situation), or b) I looked like I was in my 40s and now look my age. I'm guessing it's b, but I'm good at denial.

Anyway, my last week is going well. I'm feeling very relaxed at work, although a little more panicked when I get home. It's mostly because I've decided to take some time off before I make any final decisions. I am horrible with free time. So I'll be making household repairs and doing yard work instead. On my way to work, I have trouble wiping the stupid smile off my face. It's nice to be an expert at something. Even nicer to know that when you leave you'll be sorely missed. Yet even nicer to know that others have chosen to follow in my footsteps. Yes, I'm vindictive. And yes, I promised not to be so at work. But I made no promises about my blog, now did I? Anyway, I didn't expect for this to happen, didn't know that my decision would have a domino effect. But it seems to be energizing other people, even when it's not directly related.

So I guess I have to figure out what I want to be now. Do I want to be a writer again? A brand manager? A product manager? A marketing director? Or do I want to stay at home? I guess my first option and my last are not incompatible, though I'm guessing that Ragsy will have to go to daycare for some portion of the day (or some days) if I choose that.

I suppose my job choice should be super important. But it's really not. I don't live my career - I work so I can live. So what I really want is a job I can live with that interests me, plus rewards me when I do well and provides me the security to know I can do what I want to and when I want to and enjoy my personal life. To that end, I've got some work to do.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

Enjoy your time off! No matter how long you let it last :) And don't worry if other people tell you that your job choice should be more important than it is. I think you have the right idea, to find a job that interests you and not just one that rewards you financially.