Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The April Fool

I am an over-competitive idiot. Over the weekend I entered into a bet with my husband that I could go vegan for a month. After all, we've been primarily vegetarian (flexitarian now, right?) for nearly 5 years. On the face of it, it's a really sound decision. More produce, something we all need. And no animal products means I can't eat cookies, which are my kryptonite. It also means I can't eat most commercially made bread, drench things in cheese (I still refuse to try vegan cheese - it seems wrong somehow) and I can't use whole cream in my coffee. As such, I've already lost 3 pounds, which is awesome.

And honestly, except for a few moments of weakness - this morning I caught myself staring at my kids' eggs and plotting to scarf them down after my husband left with them for school/work - it hasn't been much of a hardship. Oh, and for what it's worth, I managed to distract myself with quinoa, spinach and cashews.

BUT...
  • After researching to figure out the best way to do this, I do have concerns, B12 deficiency being top on my mind. From what I've read, more than 90% of vegans have or develop a B12 deficiency. If I had a normally-wired brain, this might be solved - emphasis on "might" since scientists disagree with the notion that a pill will get you the nutrients you need - with a tablet. Sadly, B12 vitamins, being unregulated and often misused, are notorious for making your body over-metabolize certain medications, anticonvulsants included. It takes a while to develop a B12 deficiency, so I'm willing to stick it out (see above re over-competitive idiot), but this is not going to be a long-term lifestyle choice for me.
  • Logistically speaking, it's a pain in the ass. Unless I want my kids' diet to suffer - and I don't think it's appropriate for my kids to be vegan until their bodies are grown and they can make that choice themselves - I have to make two dishes for every meal: one with meat or animal protein and another devoid of animal products. My kitchen looks like every single pot and pan has been vomited forth from the bowels of hell, aka my messy system of putting away kitchen utensils. 
  • Another logistical challenge is going to people's houses. If I wind up being invited anywhere for the next month, I see myself showing up with a pot of vegan goodness and offending a lot of people. 
  • If you undergo a lifestyle change that has a positive impact, it probably doesn't make a difference why you do it. However, the likelihood of that change having any stickiness is probably way lower if you're doing it to see if you can.   
So there. A vegan's life for me...for a month. Then I'll peace out, hopefully with an extra $50 in my pocket (I should've asked for more) and more produce worked into the diet.

No comments: