Monday, April 20, 2015

Goodnight, Vienna, city of a million something somethings.

Sorry - I've got a terrible earworm today, but I guess it's better than Shake It Off. Now that was a rough day.

I am working from home again. Sometimes I wish I could work from home permanently (and I know my boss wouldn't care); then I work from home and blog from my kitchen while listening to another interminable industry call. Probably not super awesome. That said, these calls waste a ton of time. Instead of industry intel, I learn more about people than actual requirements. One thing I've learned from these calls: everyone - and I mean everyone - wants to sound smart.

Which is totally understandable. I want to sound smart, too. I'm guilty of "smart talk" on occasion when I'm feeling defensive, which I consider to be a huge flaw. But lots of people use smart talk all the time. What is smart talk? Trying to sound smart by nitpicking (oh, Sharon - clearly you've forgotten scope of practice and its relationship to deceased prescribers! Uh, there should be no scope of practice if the prescriber is dead. Just sayin'.), asking pointed, dickish questions and/or quoting obscure pieces of legislation having little to nothing to do with the actual subject at hand. That's smart talk.

Congratulations - you're very smart because you know the DHS requirement regarding unlawfully present individuals. That doesn't have much to do with a prescriber unless he or she is also unlawfully present, but I suppose if you're trying to feel smart, that's probably beside the point.

The crappy thing about smart talk: it actually works. People are frequently insecure enough in their own opinions that if someone smart talks confidently enough and won't back down, it makes others question themselves and defer. Which sucks, especially if you're like me and constantly questioning your intelligence and knowledge, thinking you couldn't possibly know enough and always needing to know more. I wonder when I'll stop feeling like that.

For that matter, I wonder if I should ever stop feeling like the village idiot - isn't thinking you know everything a big sign of arrogance and a hallmark of someone who is no longer curious, who will no longer learn? Whatever - this post has gotten way more philosophical than I anticipated. Time to get more coffee and read more law and ignore more smart talk. Goodnight, Vienna.

No comments: