Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Stop it - you're doing it wrong

I was thinking about Martin Luther King yesterday, as many of us Americans are wont to do on Martin Luther King Day. I was thinking, "Jeez, I wish I had the day off, too," but mostly I was thinking about how far we've come since before his assassination and yet how far it feels we're sliding backward. And it blows goats.

This blog is not generally a serious blog. God knows that, between stores of my children pretending to be drunken ducks (should NOT have let them watch that much Looney Tunes) and my sleep-deprived rantings of what a dumbass I am, most people probably don't know much more about me than I'm borderline insane, like Sherlock and really do not like having my feet peed on (I'm lookinga t you, Evelyn).

But even if you don't know me, all I ask is that you do one thing. Just one thing. And that's to do something - anything, regardless of how big or how small - to make someone else's life better. Whether it's listening to someone who needs to be heard or owning up to your own prejudices and confronting them, or just treating another person like they're human, do it.

It doesn't have to be specifically with the intention of eliminating injustice - just with the intention of being better and helping others to be better, too. So there.

No comments: