Monday, January 12, 2015

Another day, another bottle of whine

Today has turned out better than I expected, though still with some suck-itude. My five year old daughter had to have a cavity filled. I had been one of the smug, "my children drink juice or soda in my home but once every month!" moms, but avoiding the sugar apparently doesn't matter when you strip all the fluoride out of your water with a reverse osmosis water filter. Who knew?

It's amazing how having children will make you into an unwitting liar. Top five best examples, at least from my life as a parent so far:

  • "I will NEVER feed my child anything other than homemade organic babyfood." (until I realize that if I do that, I will never sleep)
  • "They will never eat at McDonald's." (until all his friends got to go to McDonald's after baseball...except him, until I relented)
  • "No formula for mine!" (until I had a seizure, resulting two week migraine and astronomically high blood pressure that made it difficult to sit up, much less nurse)
  • "Children do not ever belong in the marital bed." (until our child screamed so long and hard he vomited and I realized I couldn't do that to him or myself ever again)
  • "I don't believe in bribes for children. Ever." (until Rags was having his first good day in months when he was going through the "terribles" and I could tell he was about to lose it and just couldn't handle another bout for a couple of hours)
It's always the absolutes the come back to bite you in the ass, huh?

Anyway, the cavity worked out well enough. Apparently it wasn't deep enough to require any anesthesia - no novicaine, no topicals - whatsoever. And our dentist prefers not to introduce needles to children unless absolutely necessary. So instead she let her look at the tools for a bit, showed them how they worked, cleaned her out with the drill, filled the tooth and let her go - all in about 15 minutes. No pain, no apparent discomfort. Did I mention that I love our dentist?

And now, here I sit, "working" from home. Working in quotes because my work is about to reorg again and I'm waiting for more legislation before I can move forward on really anything. So all my afternoon meetings are canceled, I'm spinning my wheels when I should be proactive and burnt out from working 14 hours a day for three weeks with no breaks only to suddenly find myself with downtime. Which I apparently can't handle.

No comments: