Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving

I try hard to avoid serious posts. Even when I'm complaining, I try to see the humor in what I'm complaining about. Because when all is said and done, most of our everyday annoyances are, to some extent, silly or at the very least learning experiences in which we can find some humor. Of course, there are exceptions.

This Thanksgiving was bittersweet. I'm thankful for my family and my friends, my safety and my health. Like everyone, I grieve for St. Louis and the events that have recently torn our city in two, highlighting the enormous divide within various parts of St. Louis.

The protests have died down for the most part, but they're still there. The weather has warmed for a couple of days, so doubtless there will be more - both protests and violence - over the weekend. Protesting is far more sustainable when you don't have to face the specter of frostbite.

This past week's events have been devastating and have interrupted the lives of thousands if not millions. I don't condone the looting and violence in any way, but St. Louis is a city divided and has been for a very long time. If you drive down Delmar, you'll see it. To the south of it, mansions in gracious, historic gated communities. To the north, vacant buildings once beautiful, desolate empty lots.

So yes, I'm thankful for my home, my health, my family. I'm also hopeful that these recent acts of violence and outrage stop and instead create something productive and healthy. Though the realist in me knows it's unlikely, the optimist hopes this produces something good. And I would like to be a part of it.

No comments: