Friday, November 21, 2014

TGIF??

Today is Friday. Part of me wants to rejoice. Part of me wants to roll my eyes. Mostly because it's Thanksgiving. Here's a little secret: I hate Thanksgiving. And here's why:

1. It's a day of food. Which is nice, but that also means that you have to cook it. And cooking it takes hours.

2. I love to cook. But I hate turkey. So I'm putting in at least 4-5 hours of effort (excluding cleaning and socializing) to cook something I can't stand. Normally if we don't have family over, I'll spend a couple of hours making homemade orange chicken and fried rice. Oh, well - at least mom and the kids will be happy.

3. I hate to clean. My mom is coming over, so I have to clean the whole place until it's spotless. This is more difficult this year because sine we've had no basement floor since July, the basement is now spread out among my upper floor, which will make things not only harder to clean but also those things that are clean will look messy because of the fact that all this crap is up here and not down there. But hey - silver lining is that I have a clean house.

4. My mom is coming over. Okay, this isn't such a horrid thing. But. Mom at my house = the following annoyances: she's decided she doesn't feel like driving here. So I have to drive three hours to her house to get her and three hours back because she doesn't like driving anymore apparently. I will have to do that this Sunday to get her here. And next Sunday to get her back. She doesn't really care about my schedule so even though I had plans for the weekend, she has decided those are not important. Also, she's judgy. Super judgy and she will complain constantly about the fact that she won't have a door downstairs (we finished the floor in the guest room, but not the trim yet so no place to hang the door without the frame falling over), half my sink in the kitchen is cracked, so we have to use the other half (she doesn't seem to care that we both have jobs and I can't take hours and hours off work to shop, hire someone and hang out so they can replace the sink).

Anyway, you can't stop time or control other people. And compared to what a lot of the world is dealing with, these are relatively minor problems. But I can complain about them. Because that is what blogging is for, apparently. You are welcome.

No comments: