Thursday, November 12, 2009

Something chocolately, something blue...

My birthday has not sucked. I don't know if it's luck or what, but today was actually kinda good. My son woke up happy and told me I was pretty and said he thought I was great. My husband got up with both of us, so we all got time together and I got a hand in the morning ritual, which is almost unheard of.

My mom got up shortly after and was also in a good mood. I got to work on time for a change, to find a decorated cube. I went to the doctor to find that I'm 4 cm dilated (how does one do that and not go into labor? Aren't I supposed to have a baby by now? I've had contractions all day, but anyway...). By this time last time I was nearly screaming in pain. I'm almost enjoying the mild discomfort in comparison.

The sun shone all day. I got home with a cake with blue icing and my son began to dance and sing like I'd just handed him a piece of the sky. We had cake and the night was topped off by one of the best things ever - this quiet time I'm enjoying right now. Even better, I'm enjoying it with minimal contractions. You know how sometimes internal exams can trigger contractions? I had had them from about 11:30 until I began lounging on my left side to de-puff my feet. I'm finally, finally comfortable for the first time in nearly 6 hours. And tomorrow is my last day at work until I'm back from leave.

I'm not sure how today could be better. Talk about the little things: family, friends, absence of pain and quiet.

Oh, crap. Another contraction. That one actually hurt. Well, three out of four ain't bad.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Heh. With Trystan I only got to 4cm and stayed there for the last 12 hours of my labor (after about a week of recurring painful contractions first). Be careful at work today, and keep your legs crossed...;)

Here's hoping for a nice easy delivery for your little one! Happy Birthday!

flatflo said...

Keep your legs and fingers crossed!