Saturday, November 21, 2009

I should have expected that

There are several things I expected from having another kid: dealing with a certain amount of pain initially, exhaustion (especially at the start), defiance from my current kid. What I stupidly didn't expect was the complete lack of privacy I've experienced in the last few days. Not only has my husband and my mother (who refers to women who breastfeed as "those" people or "mother earth") seen me sit around topless trying to figure out the best way to get as much boob as possible into another human being's mouth and not only has my three-year old become intrigued with the fact that someone else is getting all their food from my chest, people keep freaking walking in on me while I'm pumping. No amount of door locking, telling people to leave me alone for just 15 minutes or outright hiding seems to do the trick.

I'm pumping because I seem to have a bit of a supply issue. I just can't keep up with this girl's appetite. So I pump and I pump and I pump some more. When I'm not pumping, I'm breastfeeding. I don't really mind people seeing me breastfeed so much, but must my family really see me hooked up to a contraption that's so similar to what they use on cows?

3 comments:

BriteLady said...

I feel for you! Charlotte kept taking funnels out of the cupboard and sticking them to her chest, telling people she was pumping. And she began breastfeeding her dolls at this point.

Good luck and keep a positive attitude. Remember that even if Ragsy doesn't truly remember you breastfeeding and pumping now, maybe he won't be shocked by it as a father someday :) And he won't be tempted to stare and point at breastfeeding moms out in public, because it will be old hat to him :)

HiddenChicken said...

Thanks for all the great advice. One of our problems now is that Evelyn had to be supplemented with expressed milk through a bottle (she was peeing orange crystals and just wasn't getting food fast enough thanks to engorgement), so now we're having trouble not only getting her back to the breast exclusively, but also pumping enough to meet her demand. I feel like I'm always either uncomfortably full, feeding her or pumping. Ah, well - at least all her food is coming from me.

I meant to ask you - I remember you giving me the name of the hands-free attachment you used in the car and at work. I believe they fit in your bra. Can you tell me what those were again?

Sarahlynn said...

I think they have them (or can order them) at Kangaroo Kids. Speaking of which . . . that's where I bought my Fenugreek. :)