Friday, September 18, 2009

Upkeep, Caddyshack style.

Over the last few months, I've been visited by fire-breathing bunnies who insist on nipping just the tips of my serrano peppers. I took care of those guys, strangely, with a mixture or water and cayenne. Now we have a woodpecker stubbornly boring itself into a wall or our roof. Every morning we hear it, a staccato drilling sound, not unlike a teeny jackhammer. I'm about to blow up the wall.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. But, woodpecker, it's on. Don't settle in. You're not going to be living in my house that long. I won't try to kill you, just scare the bejeezus out of you until you go away. Or I'll move your nest. Yeah, take that!

2 comments:

flatflo said...

Our farm house had this problem when I was a kid. My folks took down a huge old tree where the SW corner of the house is now. Apparently it was home to some woodpeckers, who decided the house was their new condo, since eminent domain took their old homestead. My folks tried plastic owl decoys. The actual owls attacked and flew away with them. I also recall that they tried a plank of cedar over the holes (something about the strong smell, resin, etc.) and maybe even some flashing. I don't recall what ended up working, I just remember that our kids' bedroom was in that corner of the house, and the time that one of the buggars actually made inside the walls...

Good luck!

HiddenChicken said...

Thanks! I think part of the problem is that we have a small carpenter bees' nest we're getting rid of. Fortunately, all we have to do is plug the hole where their nest is and seal it. Once we get rid of the bees, the woodpeckers should be out of food and (hopefully) will go away. We'll see what happens.

And thanks for the tip about the owls. We have a few in our common ground. I can just imagine what a fun awakening that'd be if we had owls dive-bombing the house!