Friday, May 30, 2008

Lay off my time!

I'm on vacation next Tuesday & Wednesday. It's quite by mistake - I had thought that next Monday was Memorial Day and had decided to take a five-day weekend. Once I realized my mistake, though, I decided to take those two days off anyway. I have a garden to plant (i.e., putting my sprouting green beans in the actual ground along with my peppers, harvesting some herbs and other tasks) and a house to clean. And, dammit, I want some time to relax and maybe even write a little.

So, even though it's not convenient for my work, since I'm going to be deducted those days anyway, I'm not going to be here. Even though someone (who is also taking vacation and is senior to me but not my boss) is trying to get me to not take that time off and instead come in for a two-day meeting on the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act, one of which falls on one of those days off. Um, no. However miguided, I requested that time off a few weeks ago. I'm NOT coming in, though I'm happy to attend the second day-long session - I've got plans even if they're not concrete plans that take me out of town. Given that you have no say in my hiring or firing, you can find an alternate for day one.

So lay off my time off.

A stupid rant, you say? Why yes, yes it is. But I'm becoming a crusty old lady. Then again you knew that aready.

No comments: