Tuesday, March 11, 2008

When did that start happening?

Remember how I once said that every time my child got sick, he also started doing something new? I was playing with him outside today (what? he's stopped barfing finally and has no fever - he's also very bored) and all of a sudden, he started counting. He didn't count to a hundred or anything - just to nine. I thought it was a fluke, so I started throwing out numbers out of sequence, but he counted correctly up from each. So if I said three instead of one, he'd say "four, five, six..." He's been doing it all day. The thing is, just yesterday he would only count to two.

I know he's only repeating stuff he's heard, and I get that he likely doesn't entirely grasp what he's doing, but it was really weird hearing him do it all correctly. The only one he has trouble with is eight - he usually skips right over it.

Then I was putting him to bed and he asked me to read the genie book (which can mean either Alladin and the Forty Thieves or Arabian Nights - both come from a set of books we got in India), then when I asked him which one, he sat up and said in this big, booming voice, "Open the door! Open Sesame!" I almost wet myself. But at least I know which one he wants. He's speaking in full sentences almost half the time now, which is amazing to me. I can't believe that even five or six months ago I was exclaiming when he was able to let me know he wanted to "Go Door." Now he's telling me "Open Sesame!" and "Ragha lost the stick. Mommy should help." Now if I could just get him to stop trying to kiss or sit on the cats, who are remarkably patient with him.

He also asked to pee in the toilet, though when I put him on it, he got nervous - he wanted to big person's toilet, not the little potty and we don't yet have a seat he can use, so it was me holding him over a big hole. So he understandably got not precisely stage fright - maybe hole fright? I'd probably be worried, too.

I just realized the all my posts for the last week have been dedicated to my son's GI tract. Sorry 'bout that. If you're still reading, I'm very impressed.

No comments: