Monday, March 10, 2008

Stop with the barfing already!

Another call from daycare - despite being healthy all weekend, with the exception of one last regurgitation Friday night and a mild fever Saturday morning that was gone by the afternoon, our son is barfing once more, this time with diarrhea. Delightful.

He'll be going to the pediatrician today, along with my husband whose turn it is to pick him up. Yes, we take turns picking him up. Unfortunately, there's no taking turns with the night-time barfing. He always wants me, then promptly attempts to go to sleep on me even while we're both covered in sick and I have to wake him up to change his pants, shirt, diaper, clean his hair, face, hands, etc.

Poor kid. I feel bad for him, mostly because even though he feels much better after his stomach is emptied, it scares the crap out of him to get sick like that. Then there's the standard parental worry that has me panicking every time I see daycare's number pop up on my caller ID. I guess that'll never go away.

Hopefully he'll be bouncing off the walls tomorrow while we try to keep him calm and quiet at home. That's usually what happens, but I always get paranoid that this time it'll be different. I love it when he's energetic because that's him normal. He's also generally in a really good mood, which makes him upset even scarier. Last night he even laughed at me - laughed! - when I said it was night-night time. Then came running out a half hour later giggling to pull me in to bed with him.

I wish I could leave early to be with him at the doctor's office, but I have meetings until 4:30. Blech.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Poor Ragsy! At least if you're hitting the diarrhea stage, chances are things are getting better. It sucks to be the one the kids prefer to puke on, though I don't know that I'd really want to trade that dubious honor...

Charlotte once had a stomach bug where she got sick every day for two weeks on the way to daycare, after a couple of days spent at home. We are horrible parents, and so after we realized that she was fine the rest of the day and night, started tucking a towel around her for the morning car trip and packing an extra outfit to put on in case the towel slipped.

HiddenChicken said...

That's very weird - but good, for a stomach bug anyway. At least it was predictable!

I'm hoping that Ragsy's reaching the tail end. I think he may have reinfected himself over the weekend because we forgot one of the cups he'd been drinking out of when he was sick. He found it and started drinking out of it - we didn't even think about it until I wondered if that might be it.

I hope it was and that I'm not making that up out of wishful thinking.

And I agree - while getting barfed on is really gross, it's flattering in a disgusting, yucky sort of way. At least you're so comforting that your kids can conk out on you again after they've horked all over you, huh?