Sunday, December 7, 2008

The purpose-free life.

Both my husband and I have been somewhat malaised for a long time, and I think I know why. Both of us are lacking purpose. In other words, we need to establish some non-kid-related goals, whether personal, professional or both. I think my husband is going back to school to get his MBA soon, and I hope he does. Earlier he had said he didn't want to because he didn't want me to have to do all the work with Ragsy. On the other hand, I don't want that type of responsibility on my shoulders. In other words, I don't want to be the person stopping him. In fact, I refuse to be the person stopping him.

As for myself, other than my personal goals (getting organized, getting healthy, making our house look like someone not in college lives here), I'd like to start writing again. Ideally I'd prefer to do some creative work (i.e., smut); however, at this point I already have a potential freelance project lined up for a large publicly-held company. It won't be easy working full time and freelancing again. However, I do think it's true that if it's too easy to get, it's probably not worth having.

In other news, work is sending me to Chicago and Dallas next week to observe some focus groups. I already have reservations about the content of the focus groups; I think the proposed content demonstrates my department's unfamiliarity with product management, so I don't expect to get much information out of the focus groups. Which is a shame given the amount of cash they're throwing at the research group hosting them. But at least I'll get to network, meet new people, have an opportunity to learn and all that.

Oh, well. Before Ragsy wakes up I should get to writing. Then when he does wake, he's going to help me clean. and remove wallpaper in the bathroom (yes, there's still some there). Then it's time to cook dinner, bathe, go to bed. Then my night starts - first the workout, the quick-rinse shower, the prep for tomorrow's travel, etc.

No comments: