Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lose-lose situations.

I'm in a lose-lose situation at home. As in, I'm losing sleep and so is my kid. After going out of town for the funeral, I got home Sunday to a very excited little boy. Which was great. He was sweet and cute and easy to deal with. Until bedtime. It took about an hour and a half to get him to sleep. Which wasn't horrible. What was horrible was him waking at 4:30 and refusing to go back to sleep. Even worse was the two and a half hours it took to get him to sleep last night, only to have him wake at 10:30 or 11 and refuse to sleep until almost 1 a.m. this morning, only to wake again this morning at 5 a.m. when I pulled him into bed beside me. His problem?

Although I told him before I was leaving that I was going, he was afraid I'd go away again and not come back. The past two nights I've been home have been the most awful I've had since he had tonsilitis in February 2007. Every time I leave his line of sight at night, he's either begun to cry hysterically, followed me out, come to get me if already asleep or some combination. This kid has staying power, I'll give him that.

Anyway, tonight has been less bad...so far. However, he's still not asleep, we've been working at it for about an hour and 15. But, because we've left the door open, at least he can hear us so he doesn't seem to be as upset. This kid could go head to head with his dad any day and win.

1 comment:

Sarahlynn said...

Ellie's a difficult (non)sleeper, too. And then I had Ada. I had no idea it could be like this! She tells me when she's ready for bed! She sleeps all night! She requires nothing more than a snuggle or nurse and favorite stuffed animal, then she'd prefer to be left alone to go to sleep by herself. Now I know that it's not just me and my terrible parenting; sleep issues are a kid-by-kid thing. And now I can be comfortably (mostly internally) condescending toward the parents whose kids sleep so nicely while the parents pat themselves on the backs for their superior sleep training skills. No, jerks, you just got an easy sleeping kiddo!