Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Be careful what you wish for.

I made the silly mistake Monday of mentioning to our SVP while in Chicago that it would be nice to get back Tuesday, although I had booked myself to stay over until today and just fly direct from Dallas. I have now learned that I need to be very careful about what I wish for in front of our SVP and marketing director. Not only did I find myself booked on a flight fom Chicago to St. Louis at the last minute last night when our final Chicago focus group was cancelled, I also found myself getting into my car in the intermediate parking lot on Cypress at midnight last night. As I got home, I learned that our son had awoken. He was quickly passed off to me while my husband ran for the hills (or the bedroom, whichever he got to first).

A battle of wills ensued, wherein, after a long period of cuddling and singing, I refused to get into bed with my son because he doesn't sleep well with me. Instead we compromised, meaning that I stood at the doorway until he fell asleep. The battle lasted until 2 a.m. and I stumbled to bed on numb legs, only to have the whole thing resume again at 6 a.m. He was still mostly asleep, so he fell back to sleep quickly, waking at 7 a.m. I really could have done without that. I think I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Now I should get into the shower. My flight to Dallas leaves at 1:15, so I need to get my car parked around 11 or 11:30, then sit around in the airport. Even though last night was a little bit of a hassle, I know they felt they were doing something nice for me, so I'm not going to quibble. After all, I did get to see my son this morning, and, after a rough start, got a few kisses in, too. On a professional level, I am very glad I went on this trip. I'm getting lots of useful information and, when I shut up, some much-needed sleep.

Speaking of quality information, aren't you glad you read this post?

1 comment:

flatflo said...

hey, it's good to hear what you're up to. sounds more exciting than my life, which recently has been re-installing and repairing our toilet. i've learned a lot about our waste receptacle than i ever wanted. don't look at my fingernails, tho. ick.

-Laura