Thursday, December 4, 2014

Because punching people is not an option

I've been working from home this week, partly because the Ferguson protests were close to my building, but mostly because I was supporting an audit. I don't understand how people work from home regularly. I used to do it and became a total hermit. Right now I can feel myself becoming an anti-social harridan. Mostly because listening to some of the people I work with and/or some of the people we work FOR makes me want to punch someone.

So, maybe that's why people work from home. Anyway, since I've already put in more than 40 hours this week and it's Thursday, I thought I'd come up with a list of healthy alternatives to not punching someone (since I can't right now anyway):

1. Find something hilarious - such as when I heard the Large, Important Government Agency I was talking to get kicked out of the room by someone apparently more important than them. Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. And if you work in government health care, there's precious little that's funny.

2. Dork out. I out-guidanced our auditor. And I was elated. I put myself on mute, screamed, "That's what I'm talkin' about, baby!" and danced around the room. Of course, this was after being on hold for 30 minutes while they tried to find legislation to disprove me.

3. Pace. One of the few things I like about working from home is that I can pace. I pace a lot. Since I"m on the phone for usually 6 hours a day at least, I've practically worn tracks into the carpets.

4. Add fun commentary to your official documentation. (But delete it before it goes to anyone)

5. Sit in a corner and rock. Ok, not super healthy, but still viable.

6. Drink an assload of coffee - until you shake. Then see how you react to e-mail. Hmmm. Maybe wouldn't have the intended effect of talking someone out of punching someone, though.

I can't think of many other alternatives. I could theoretically go for a walk. But it's cold outside. And I'm whiny. I think I'll go have coffee.

No comments: