Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A few things about managing people I struggle with

I manage people. Not a lot of people. But I do manage a few. Given the sheer size of the company I work for, that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. But it does affect my stress levels. And here's how (because you care, right??):

1. Reminding people that, yes, they are actually required to work standard office hours (no, you cannot start the workday on Fridays after noon and yes, I do expect to see you online, even if you are virtual; and do I really need to tell you that?).  I don't understand why timeliness is almost always the biggest issue in a workplace - you'd imagine that common sense would dictate that you either do your stuff on time or tell someone why you can't, but apparently common sense is not common.

2. Some people are treated differently than others. It's usually because some people are also more trustworthy than others (see above). Despite #1, I really don't care if you leave a half hour or so early three times a week as long as I know you'll make it up later. But don't try to BS me by telling me, "It all works out." I'm not super great at math, but I can add and subtract.

3. I will support you by getting obstacles out of your way and telling people when they're asking too much of people on my team. Removing roadblocks does not equal me doing your job.

4. I hate having "the talk" with you. I'm by nature a non-confrontational person and I don't like being put in a spot where I have to reinforce things that I think are obvious. I need you to do work, and if you can't work, I need to know why because I might be able to help. Deadlines provided by the government aren't guidelines. 

5. If you can't meet the above-referenced deadlines, you only get half the shit I do. I'm the sorry messenger who gets screamed at by clients on your behalf, may have to explain your actions to the federal government and gets to hear from management. What's somewhat sad is that I only get half the beating my supervisor does. And she probably only gets half of what her boss does. So do your work and we can all get by unscathed.

Next time I promise to be more positive. I really, really do. But having had "the talk" with someone last week and this week already, I'm a tad annoyed.

No comments: