Saturday, March 7, 2009

Time to dig up the garden.

This is the perfect weekend to plant my starter seeds and dig up the backyard again. This time I'm going to have a larger veggie bed. I think I might do raised beds this year. I'm definitely going to trellis. So, tomorrow I need to:

Get a hummus and manure mix

Pick up either a few 2 x 4s or some rocks to go around the perimeter (probably not terribly necessary, but I want to clearly mark the beds)

Dig up the beds I want

Turn over the soil and mix the hummus and manure in, along with any extra leaves I want to use (we were lazy this fall, so we have plenty

Plant the starters

Cut down the remaining grasses in the front yard

I can't wait. I'm sure Ragsy will help, too. In the next few weeks, I'm going to have to figure out how I want to set the trellises - do I want to do rounds or straights? I'm thinking rounds. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the unsightly park picnic tables the previous owners installed in the backyard. I want a small wrought iron round table for the patio and a nice, larger family table for the screened-in porch. Yeah, because those will be cheap. Ah, I love spring.

No comments: