Sunday, July 13, 2008

Catch up

I've written full blog posts a few times, then decided not to post them. Some were just too silly to post. Others provided a little too much information about work, so I reconsidered. At the moment, I've got a quiet moment at home, so I can think more clearly about what I want to say. This all sounds so cryptic, doesn't it? And this post will be anticlimactic in the extreme. But a lot is going on at work and not much is going on at home, which is the way I like it (minus the lots going on at work).

I'm still employed and enjoying it, to some extent anyway. Ragsy continues to amaze me with the pace at which he's developing. I know it's normal, but having never been around a toddler for extended periods of time, it floors me when all of a sudden a complicated word is used correctly in a fairly complicated sentence. Or he comes to me and asks to use the potty and, lo and behold, he does. Not out of diapers yet, but definitely making progress in that direction. I think I need to talk to the people at daycare and see at what point they start involving the two-year olds in potty training.

Our Fourth of July weekend was relaxing and fun. We went to Mom's house, ate too much, saw family we don't see frequently enough and watched Ragsy buzz around like a whirling dervish. This weekend has been far busier, but no less enjoyable. Friday night I threw Ragsy in the car and took him to the Bastille Day events in Maplewood, meeting a coworker. We got stuck in the rain and piled under a tent with a bunch of strangers. Ragsy had a ball getting wet and made everyone else laugh. Then we went to a restaurant and grabbed some tapas and went home.

Yesterday was a morning trip to the Magic House and puttering around in the afternoon. Today, Ragsy is at the zoo with his dad until noonish. Even though he still wakes between 5:30 and 6, some days I don't ever want this age to end. He's such a happy kid, and that happiness is transcendant and infectious in a way that adult joy rarely is. You almost never see an adult's eyes shining with enjoyment as another adult breaks into applause because they're so happy they can't contain themselves. In fact, if you saw that, you'd think it was totally bizarre since adults aren't often happy just because. But a little kid? I can't think of anything that'll make someone else smile more easily.

Anyway, I'm making myself morose. I need to clean - the house looks like a bomb went off (why does that seem our constant state?) - and I need to figure out what else we're going to eat this week and make it. I've got one dish, but the other I made last night is already gone. Maybe this would be a good chance to visit our friends with the new baby. I'm a terrible friend since I have yet to see them. But I don't like showing up empty handed and I haven't had a chance to make anything. I guess it's not a requirement that it be made by me, but I'm weird that way. I think I'm turning into my mother.

No comments: