Friday, June 19, 2015

Just another crazy week in the news

Sometimes I hate everything. This week is a good example. It seems like when everything goes to shit, it does so in spectacular fashion. Anyway, enough about work...

Two things:

1. Flipping devastating news in Charleston. First of all, I am not big on organized religion, but I still hold things that others hold sacred as sacred or at least worthy of respect. Second, race. It's a huge problem in this country. Not that people are other races - that's beautiful. But that people hate other races just for being.

I'm in an interracial marriage. I don't often think of it that way, but I am. My husband and I come from vastly different backgrounds and cultures. As my kids often point out, he's brown and I'm pink. Had my children been in that church, had my husband been in that church, would they have deserved to die just because of their brown-ness? Of course not. It's hard to imagine what the hell was going on in that kid's mind and how he became so poisoned. And it's hard to imagine how one half of the country or at least the talking heads that represent that half can sweep that aside. Race is an issue in this country. It never went away. If we don't talk about it as a problem, it will never be solved.

2. Climate change from the Pope. I cannot tell you how happy I am that a Pontiff would recognize the devastation that is climate change. We all contribute - I do. You do. And I cannot tell you how disappointed I am that people are decrying recognizing science as "political." There's nothing political about accepting fact.

Data is put before you. You analyze the data. It proves X, therefore X must be a valid point. If X hurts us all, we should do something about it. Simple, but not easy, but there nonetheless. Again, if we don't talk about it as a real problem, we will never be able to stop it or, in this case, make it less bad. Because at this point, that's really all we can do.

Ok. Off my soapbox and back to the absolute and complete circus that is my work. Sometimes I just want to walk out that door. Other times I'm energized by the spiderweb of challenges set before me. Anyway you look at it, Medicare is hard and many people are jackasses for whatever reason.

No comments: