Friday, May 30, 2014

How to Become a Better Person

If you don't know me, you might not already know that I'm a terrible human being. Well, maybe I'm not terrible so much as not awesome. Anyway, toward the beginning of the year, as most people do, I was thinking about all the stuff I wanted to do this year. How do I become a better person? What about losing weight (what? I am female - apparently biologically I'm always supposed to want to lose weight)? Giving more of my time/money/skillset to charity? How's about more money? I like money.

During my random ramblings online one night, I ran across this helpful article from Cracked.com. Technically, Cracked is an entertainment site, but I often run across gems like this. It's full of "motherfuckers" and "asses," because that's what Cracked is like; however, a lot of it felt right. For me anyway.

Action breeds action, which breeds satisfaction alongside ambition for more action (because action feels good). Or, more boiled down: sustained happiness is hard work in the best of circumstances.At the worst of times, it's a tough slog out of a hell hole. You're welcome.

This random commentary brought to you by the number 9 and the letters N-E-E-D-S-L-E-E-P.

2 comments:

Vance said...

An interesting viewpoint on life. I think, however, that happiness can be achieved without so much work. Happiness can arise from the simple parts of life.

HiddenChicken said...

I think you're right about that, though if you're like my husband, he wouldn't know happiness in simplicity if it smacked him in the face. :)

Maybe it's more a question of ambition or accomplishment rather than happiness per se, but some people need a kick in the pants (or a significant change in mindset) to enjoy those simpler moments of happiness.